FORT WORTH, Texas (TBEN) – Two suspects, including a teenager, have been arrested in connection with a drive-by shooting in Fort Worth last week that killed a 17-year-old and a 5-year-old, police said. Tuesday.
Anthony Ray Bell-Johnson, 21, and a 16-year-old male minor have been charged with manslaughter. In a statement, police said the couple was arrested and jailed over the Labor Day weekend. Due to his age, police are not willing to release the teen’s identity. It was unclear from the prison records whether any of the suspects had a lawyer.
Rayshard Scott, 5, and his cousin, Jamarrien Monroe, 17, were killed in the Aug. 28 shooting. vehicle opened fire on the front yard.
Tijuana West, Jamarrien Monroe’s mother, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram that she was upstairs when she heard what looked like fireworks.
“It’s gone so fast,” she said. “I was just trying to figure out where my babies were.”
She said she and her sister, Rayshard’s mother, live in the house with their other children. Jamarrien had an 18-month-old son who was injured in the shooting, but is recovering well. The child didn’t live in the house but visited often, West said.
Jamarrien Monroe had just started a new high school, and Rayshard Scott had just started his freshman year of school, West said. Jamarrien loved to sing and play basketball, often playing with the children in the extended family and the neighborhood and joking with them, West said. She said she was baffled why someone would open fire on their house.
“My son is not in a gang or a drug dealer…. He was just like any other 17-year-old trying to figure it out,” she said.