SINGAPORE: Four men who recently arrived in Singapore to participate in a ONE Championship mixed martial arts event in Singapore, have tested positive for COVID-19.
Responding Thursday, April 8 to TBEN’s questions sent out Tuesday, ONE Championship confirmed that the men had arrived from Brazil, Canada and Serbia for their Thursday event titled: ONE on TNT I.
“A foreign participant who was on the same flight as one of these people also tested positive for COVID-19,” ONE said, adding that he was in isolation when he arrived in Singapore.
ONE did not specify where the fourth person came from.
The three men who arrived from Brazil, Canada and Serbia were reported as COVID-19 cases on Monday. They are known as cases 61571, 61577 and 61578 respectively in the daily updates from the Department of Health (MOH) on the outbreak situation.
The health ministry said the three men, aged 23 to 33, arrived on short-term visitor passes “to participate in a sporting event.”
The Department of Health said on Wednesday that another man who arrived from Canada and tested positive for COVID-19 was a contact of case 61577, the previously reported case from Canada.
Known as Case 61624, the ministry said the 35-year-old also entered Singapore for a sporting event.
ONE Championship declined to name any participants who tested positive.
A RELEASED MAN, ALLOWED TO JOIN THE EVENT
All four participants tested negative for COVID-19 before traveling to Singapore, ONE Championship said Thursday.
“Under strict protocols for foreign participants, they were placed in isolation upon arrival,” he added.
The four men were taken to hospital for treatment after testing positive and serologic testing was done to determine if their infections were current.
One of the men was released from the hospital because his serological test result came back positive, indicating a probable previous infection, ONE Championship said.
“As an added precaution, he underwent a (polymerase chain reaction) test on April 6 and tested negative for COVID-19. As such, he will be allowed to participate in the event.”
No other information was given for the other three foreign participants.
The mixed martial arts event, ONE on TNT I, took place on Thursday and is a “closed-door production” with no spectators, ONE Championship said.
“In accordance with ONE protocols and Singapore government regulations, all foreign and local athletes and cornermen must be isolated until they receive a negative test result, after which they will follow a strictly controlled route which has been pre-approved. “
“Public health and safety remains our top priority. We will continue to work with the Singapore government to ensure the safety of our athletes, crew and community,” said ONE Championship.
READ: Championship promises tough COVID-19 measures for Singapore MMA
Along with the latest cases, a total of seven cases of COVID-19 have since been reported among attendees at the ONE Championship event since the company restarted international events in October last year.
Last October, two cornermen tested positive as part of screening protocols before a live sporting event.
Both men had tested negative before traveling to Singapore from the United States and Russia, and had also tested negative upon arrival.
Last November, another Cornerman tested positive when he arrived from Belarus.
According to its website, ONE Championship is Asia’s largest mixed martial arts promoter with offices in 10 cities, including Singapore.
Its institutional investors include Sequoia Capital, Temasek Holdings, Iconiq Capital, Greenoaks Capital and Mission Holdings.
REPORT THIS: Our comprehensive coverage of the coronavirus outbreak and its developments
Download our app or subscribe to our Telegram channel for the latest updates on the coronavirus outbreak: https://TBEN.asia/telegram