A few days after the Joint Admission Board (JAB) of the Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT) decided to give another chance to aspirants who had tested positive for Covid-19 on the Joint Entrance Examination, Advanced (JEE- Adv) in 2021, a delegation of pupils and parents again contacted the Minister of Education Ramesh Pokhriyal to obtain further relaxation of the eligibility conditions.
In accordance with the JEE rules, a student who completes class 12 is entitled to three attempts at JEE Mains and two attempts at JEE-Adv. In their submission to Pokhriyal, students and parents requested that students who had their last attempt at JEE exams this year be granted a one-year concession and be allowed to appear for their last attempt in 2021.
“This year, the JEE (Mains and Advanced) exams were held in September instead of April-May, and of the 8.41 lakh registered candidates, only 6.35 lakh students took the JEE- exam. Hands due to fear of Covid-19, “says the letter to Pokhriyal. “This shows that thousands of students have not turned up for the newspaper for a variety of reasons, including the lockdown and ban on local transportation as well as fear of Covid-19.”
In a statement released earlier this week, JAB relaxed the eligibility criteria for students by allowing an additional attempt for those who were unable to apply for JEE Adv this year due to their positive Covid-19 status.
“In an emergency virtual meeting on October 13, the JAB decided to consider relaxing the eligibility criteria for students. It was also decided to allow all applicants, who had successfully enrolled for JEE Adv in 2020 and who could not apply for the article after testing positive for Covid-19, to apply for JEE. Adv 2021 ”, we read in the press release published by JAB.
However, in their submission to the state and central government, as well as to IIT Kharagpur (which will lead JEE-Adv 2021), students and parents not only highlighted Covid-19 as the reason for the inability students to sit for exams, but also the flood situation in several regions of the country in September 2020.
Calling the current situation “extraordinary,” students and parents have asked that those students who had their last chance at both exams in 2020 be allowed to attempt the paper in 2021 for the last time instead. “We hope that the union’s Education Department will accept this request, given the current situation and the mental stress students have been facing for the past few months,” the letter said.