VSHilli and chocolate may seem like a fiery combination, but fear not, this chocolate isn’t too hot.
Preparation time: 5 minutes | Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 100g caster sugar
- 1-5 large fresh red peppers
- 200 ml) milk
- 100 ml double cream
- 100g black pepper chocolate, chopped
- Put the sugar in a saucepan with 250 ml of water and simmer over medium heat until the sugar has dissolved. Add the chillies (green tops attached) and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the peppers and reserve a tablespoon of the poaching syrup.
- Put the milk, cream and chopped chocolate in a saucepan and heat over low heat until the chocolate is melted, whisking all the time.
- Finely chop one of the candied peppers and add it with the reserved syrup. Add a little to start, then more if you want a more fiery flavor. Serve with additional chili peppers if desired.
Recipe by Winter Drinks (Ryland Peters & Small, £ 9.99)