Chinese New Year celebrations for a community in Clutha district have been canceled due to asbestos.
The event was scheduled for next Friday at the historic Lawrence Chinese Camp.
The camp’s charitable trust confirmed on social media that asbestos was discovered in the Empire Hotel during an investigation this week.
The hotel was the focal point for most visitors and where the kitchen and only toilets were, he said.
“Although there are only small amounts detected, this triggers the need for extreme caution,” the Trust said.
“Although changing the location is an option, the administrators felt that the Chinese camp was the best choice for a Chinese New Year celebration in our community.
The hotel will be off limits to visitors until the problem is under control.
An open house will be held when it is safe to welcome the public, but the rest of the historic camp is safe to visit.