Cold wave: Snow falls in the south, storms cut the flow in the north


Snow on cars in Mornington, Dunedin, Tuesday morning.
Photo: RNZ / Tim Brown

Snow has fallen in Christchurch and Dunedin, disrupting travel on both islands, while high winds have caused power lines to crash in the north.

Temperatures dropped overnight in the South Island as a blast of cold weather moved north, bringing show showers in many areas.

Further south, State Highway 1 between Dunedin and Waitati is closed. SH87 is closed between Middlemarch and Outram.

Driving in Dunedin was treacherous, buses in the hilly suburbs were canceled and schools started the day late. Police advised motorists not to travel in the hilly suburbs of the city due to the icy conditions.

ALSO READ  Murder accused Aaron Wilson of abused, loses name suppression in High Court appearance

Snow fell on New Brighton beach at sea level, covering the sand white after pouring.

To the north, the Desert Road was closed between Waiouru and Rangipō, and the Napier-Taup Road (SH5) was also closed.

ALSO READ  Fencing around Shelly Bay development raised after kororā seen on road

There were snow flurries on Transmission Gully (SH1) north of Wellington, and also reported in the Wellington Hill suburb of Brooklyn. Snow showers were expected until 10 a.m. on the Remutaka Hill Road between Wellington and Wairarapa.

On Tuesday, September 6, 2022, planes at Christchurch Airport had to be defrosted.

Planes at Christchurch airport had to be de-iced, causing some departures to be delayed.
Photo: RNZ / Maree Mahony

MetService has forecast heavy rain and strong to gale force winds in Gisborne, Hawke’s Bay, Taupō and Taihape.


Due to the wild weather, hundreds of people were without power on the Noordereiland.

ALSO READ  NZ nurse to work as a medic near Ukraine's front lines

In Hawera, the wind caused the pipes to come down, providing power to 135 households.

In Morrinsville, 121 households were without power due to fallen trees.

Fallen trees also laid out the power lines on SH1 south of Kaitaia and about 500 people were without power.