Comedian Jay Leno was taken to the Grossman Burn Center after his face was burned in his Los Angeles garage when one of his cars caught fire.
The left side of the former The tonight show the host’s face was burned, but Leno’s eye and ear were not seriously damaged.
Leno confirmed the news to Variety, saying in a statement, “I suffered severe burns from a gasoline fire. I’m fine. I’ll only need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
The website TBEN confirmed the gasoline fire.
He was scheduled to attend a financial conference in Las Vegas on Sunday, but plans were canceled due to his burns, which were not made public at the time.
Leno, 72, was one of America’s most watched nightly TV hosts, drawing approximately 4.8 million viewers to his five nights a week show. In 2009, he left the show and was replaced by Conan O’Brien. Leno moved along to the 10 p.m. spot The Jay Leno Show, until O’Brien left the network in January 2010. Leno was subsequently reinstated as host The tonight show until 2014 when Jimmy Fallon took over as host.
Since departure The tonight showLeno started his own TBEN series called Jay Leno’s garage in 2015 and started hosting the You bet your life revival in 2021.