Commanders sued by DC for cheating fans without ticket money

0
10

The Washington Commanders have again been sued by the District of Columbia, this time charged with plotting to defraud fans of ticket money.

D.C. Attorney General Karl A. Racine announced Thursday that it has filed a lawsuit in civil court against the NFL team for its actions to seize season ticket holders’ money and keep it for its own purposes.

It is the second civil suit by Racine’s office in eight days, after a complaint was filed last week in D.C. Superior Court that the Commanders, owner Dan Snyder, Commissioner Roger Goodell and the league conspired to mislead fans about an investigation into the team work culture.

Racine said in a statement that the club’s ticketing policy in question “is yet another example of blatant mismanagement and illegal conduct by Commanders executives who seem determined to lie, cheat and steal from district residents in as many ways as possible.”

The complaint alleges that the team “deceptively” held deposits beyond the 30 days stipulated in ticketholder contracts – sometimes more than a decade – and said it took advantage of consumers forgetting the money or imposing additional, onerous conditions to get it back. to get .

A Commanders spokesperson was not immediately available for comment when reached for comment.

This lawsuit comes after the US House Committee on Oversight and Reform in April referred its investigation into workplace misconduct to the Federal Trade Commission for possible financial improprieties, which the commanders denied in a subsequent letter to the FTC.

Attorneys General for DC and Virginia subsequently opened parallel investigations, and the league hired former U.S. attorney Mary Jo White to investigate Washington’s questionable business practices of withholding ticket revenue not only from fans but also from other teams.

The leading Republican on the Oversight Committee said the investigation will end early next year when his party takes control of the House of Representatives. “It’s over,” said Rep. Kentucky’s James Comer in a terse statement, which came after The The Bharat Express News and other outlets predicted Republicans had won a slim majority in the House of Representatives for the 118th Congress, which begins Jan. 3.

Democrats led by Chairwoman Carolyn Maloney of New York and Chair of the Subcommittee on Economic and Consumer Policy Raja Krishnamoorthi of Illinois have been presiding over the investigation since last year. Comer vowed over the summer to bring it to a halt if Republicans, as expected, won control in the House in midterm elections.

The team praised the decision to drop the case in a statement through legal counsel.

“The congressional investigation has added nothing of value to this process and indeed, TBEN firm (Vestry Laight) that oversees improvements in commanders’ workplaces has singled out the investigation as a hindrance to further progress.”

A spokesperson for the House Oversight Committee said there were no updates on the investigation, including virtual testimony from NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at a public hearing and a virtual private statement from Washington owner Dan Snyder that lasted more than 10 hours, the content of which have yet to be released.

Dan and his wife Tanya recently hired a firm to investigate possible transactions, including the sale of some or all of the team Snyder has owned since 1999. Racine said last week that Snyder would still be a defendant in the first lawsuit even if he sold the Commanders.

TBEN NFL: https://apnews.com/hub/nfl and https://twitter.com/AP_NFL

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here