The banned CPI (Maoist) has claimed that CoBRA commando Rakeshwar Singh Manhas, who disappeared after the April 3 ambush in the Bastar region of Chhattisgarh, is in ultras captivity and has called on the state government to name interlocutors for his release.
However, the Maoists did not issue any formal demand for the release of the commando.
Police are verifying the authenticity of the statement, allegedly issued by the outlaws.
The banned group also admitted that four of its cadres were killed during the meeting in which 22 security personnel were killed.
Constable Rakeshwar Singh Manhas of the 210th CoBRA Battalion, an elite CRPF unit, was missing after the shootings along the border of Sukma and Bijapur districts last Saturday.
The CPI (Maoist) statement also claimed that 24 security personnel were killed during this meeting.
“No less than 2,000 police officers went near the village of Jiragudem to carry out a major attack (Saturday). To thwart them, the PLGA (Guerrilla People’s Liberation Army) responded in which 24 security agents were killed and 31 others wounded. We caught a police officer (CoBRA commando) there while others escaped, ”said a statement allegedly written by Maoists and released on social media on Tuesday.
He said the government should announce the names of the interlocutors first and the jawan will be released later. He will remain safe in our captivity until then, he said.
The two-page statement was issued on behalf of Vikalp, spokesperson for the Maoists’ Special Zonal Committee in Dandakaranya (DKSZC), who had been instrumental in carrying out several deadly attacks in southern Bastar, including the attack on the Jhiram valley in the Bastar district on May 25. , 2013, in which the main congressional leaders of Chhattisgarh unity were killed.
The Maoists admitted that four cadres were killed in the Bijapur shooting and that the body of the female cadre could not be recovered there.
The body of a Maoist woman was recovered by security forces at the meeting place.
The ultras also claimed to have seized 14 weapons, 2,000 cartridges and other materials at the site of the meeting.
Photographs published with the alleged statement show the weapons and ammunition looted.
However, police sources said at least 12 Maoists were killed in the shooting which lasted more than 4 hours.
According to police, ten weapons, including seven AK-47 rifles, two SLR rifles and one light machine gun (LMG), security personnel disappeared after the attack.
Meanwhile, a senior police official said the authenticity of the statement was being verified.
“The authenticity of the statement issued by the Maoists claiming that they took the jawan hostage is being verified. Further action will be taken accordingly,” the Inspector General of Police told PTI (Bastar range ) Sundarraj P.
Police have continuously searched for Manhas, and local villagers, social organizations, local government officials and journalists are also being contacted to locate his whereabouts, the IG said.
Tribal activist Soni Sori called on the Maoists to release the jawan if he is in captivity.
“If they delay the release of the jawan, then I will head to the meeting site on Wednesday and try to talk to them (Maoists) to release him,” Sori said.
Manhas was part of a team that left for an anti-Naxal operation Friday night in the jungle on the border of Bijapur and Sukma.
On Saturday, a shootout broke out between the security forces and the ultras between the villages of Tekalguda and Jonaguda in which 22 soldiers were killed and 31 others wounded.
Of the 22, the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) lost eight members, including seven CoBRA commandos and one jawan from its Bastariya battalion, eight from the DRG and six from the Special Task Force.
Union Interior Minister Amit Shah visited Jagdalpur and Bijapur on Monday to take stock of the situation after the deadly attack.
(Except for the title, this story was not edited by The Bharat Express News staff and is posted Platforms.)