Cape Town – The Eastern Cape Health Department expresses concern in three of its districts in terms of the availability of hospital beds to deal with the rise of Covid-19 in the province.
In a health portfolio committee briefing on Wednesday, Acting Superintendent General Sibongile Zungu said they were concerned about the Alfred Nzo district, the Buffalo City metro and the OR Tambo district.
“Yesterday, these three people were showing pressure in the general beds,” Zungu said.
“In the Alfred Nzo, Joe Gqabi and Nelson Mandela Bay subways, there is a certain pressure that we see there in terms of intensive care beds,” she said.
Zungu told MPs that the districts of Alfred Nzo, Amathoe, Joe Gqabi and Sarah Baartman have not designated intensive care facilities.
“However, the province has provided critical beds in some designated district hospitals, equipped them with oxygen and high-flow equipment and better staffing levels so that the citizens of the province can get to the beds. of intensive care in less than two hours with an ambulance. “
A presentation she made at the meeting showed that the Eastern Cape has made available 3,143 general beds and 637 critical beds.
Zungu said there had been 1,732 admissions to their health facilities as of January 11.
A total of 1,524 were in general wards, 144 in intensive care beds and 64 in intensive care.
She said 855 of the patients were on oxygen, whether in intensive care or general care, while 76 were ventilated.
Zungu said that of the 25,385 hospital admissions, 15,705 patients were discharged, 7,206 had died in hospital, 1,732 were still hospitalized, 733 had been transferred and there were nine non-hospital deaths. linked to Covid-19.