French President Emmanuel Macron has imposed another month-long national lockdown in the country in a bid to stop the rapid spread of the virus that is filling French hospitals.
However, schools and some workplaces will remain open.
Macron said the measures would go into effect on Friday, adding that France had been “overpowered by a second wave”.
In what can be called a death blow, French restaurants, bars and non-essential businesses have been ordered to remain closed. However, factories, farms and construction sites will continue with their day-to-day operations.
There are reports that nursing homes will remain open to visitors when possible. Cemeteries will also remain open so people can hold funerals in person.
According to the TBEN, 58% of the country’s intensive care units are now occupied by COVID patients, and French scientists have suggested a tay-at-home order, similar to the March lockdown.
Full details of the lockdown have yet to be released by the French government.
“Nothing is more important than human life,” Macron said as quoted by TBEN.
“We are overwhelmed by the sudden acceleration of the virus,” he added.
France’s death toll from the virus so far stands at more than 35,000, the seventh highest in the world, the TBEN reported.
France has been reporting tens of thousands of new infections per day for weeks and now records more than 380 new cases each week per 100,000 people.
France now has more than 1.24 million cases.