Cricket SA expresses ‘regret’ over timing of kneeling directive after De Kock statement | sport

0
8

Quinton from Kock. (Gareth Copley-ICC / ICC via Getty Images)

Cricket South Africa (CSA) have expressed “regret” over the timing of their kneeling directive they handed to the Proteas on the morning of their match against the West Indies.

The CSA issued a statement Thursday following Quinton de Kock’s heartfelt apologies for withdrawing from the T20 World Cup game against the Windies after being told at the last minute that they had to take action. knees before playing.

The organization acknowledged that the timing of its release “may have been unsettling for the players as the game against the West Indies approaches.”

On Wednesday evening, CSA board chairman Lawson Naidoo and two directors met with management and players of Team Proteas to ease tensions over taking the directive to the knees.

ALSO READ  Mauritius bans flights from South Africa for a month | End24

The board welcomed De Kock’s apology and agreement to kneel with his teammates if he is selected for the next clash with Sri Lanka on Saturday, as scheduled.

“The board of directors of the CSA regrets that the moment chosen for its directive at the beginning of the week could have been destabilizing for the players with the approach of the match against the Antilles”, indicates the statement of the CSA.

The board has been criticized by many for waiting for South Africa to enter a major tournament before taking a decisive step.

However, acting CSA CEO Pholetsi Moseki said the board’s decision was company policy and would not be changed for any player.

ALSO READ  WATCH | Our Home Will Never Be Quiet - Three of Cape Town's Quadruplets Return From Hospital | TBEN

Complete CSA statement:

Last night, the Chairman of the Board of Cricket South Africa and two directors met with the Proteas men’s team and management to discuss the board’s directive to “take the knee”.

Council representatives clarified the Council’s position and addressed the issues raised by players. Following the meeting, the Proteas men’s team agreed to line up and unite by kneeling for the remaining matches of the World Cup campaign.

The CSA also took note of the press release published by Quinton de Kock in which he too agreed to kneel and apologized.

Cricket South Africa welcomes all of these developments. They confirm Cricket South Africa’s commitment to non-racism. Taking a united stand against racism is a moral issue, not a political issue.

The ASC board regrets that the timing of its directive earlier this week may have been unsettling for the players as the game against the West Indies approaches.

ALSO READ  Focus - Combating desertification in Cameroon: refugees to the rescue

The CSA fully supports Protea’s men’s team and their captain Temba Bavuma and looks forward to the Proteas’ continued success at the World Cup.

We live in a world where fact and fiction collide

In uncertain times, you need journalism you can trust. For only R75 per month, you have access to a world of in-depth analysis, investigative journalism, leading opinions, and a range of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today.