Delhi rape victim, 9, suffocated by priest, police say


The accused had also sexually assaulted the girl before, Delhi police told court. (Representative)

New Delhi:

A nine-year-old girl who was allegedly raped and murdered near the Delhi cantonment area on August 2 died from “suffocation” during the sexual assault, Delhi police told court. The accused, Priest Radhe Shyam, had also sexually assaulted the underage girl previously, police added in the indictment, adding that the search history of the accused’s cell phone revealed that he had accessed over 1,300 pornographic websites, indicating his addiction to the same.

In the indictment, police charged Radhey Shyam, Kuldeep Singh, Salim Ahmad and Laxmi Narayan with rape, forcible confinement, murder, destruction of evidence and under the Protection of Children Against Sexual Offenses Act (Pocso ) and the Listed Castes and Tribes Act. Atrocity Prevention Act, claiming that there was enough evidence against them.

ALSO READ  Bharat Bandh Today: Delhi Police Shut Off Traffic To Ghazipur From Uttar Pradesh

This is the first time that the cause of the death of the young girl has been revealed.

The young girl who belonged to an economically backward family lived in Purana Nangal in the cantonment area of ​​Delhi, near the crematorium where the main defendant Radhe Shyam is the priest. When she went to the crematorium to fetch water, she was raped by the accused who put his hand over her mouth while sexually assaulting her as a result of which the girl died of suffocation.

ALSO READ  Pak terrorists scout Delhi sites, followed army movements at J&K: sources

Another defendant, Kuldeep Singh, allegedly held the victim’s hand as she was assaulted by Radhe Shyam, police told court.

When she died, the accused showed the victim’s body to her mother and testified that the girl was electrocuted while drinking water from the cooler.

But the police told the court that there was no evidence of electrocution since there was “no electric current” in the water cooler, thus refuting the defendant’s claim.

ALSO READ  Violence in Lakhimpur Kheri: Priyanka Gandhi claims she has been in detention for 28 hours, posts video message for PM Modi

Initially, the priest and his companions told the family not to inform the police as filing a complaint would result in an autopsy in which the child’s organs would be stolen, thus insisting that the cremation must take place immediately.

But later the family sounded the alarm and the girl’s gruesome rape and murder sparked protests in the nation’s capital. Congress leader Rahul Gandhi and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal visited the girl’s family.