Ezra Miller escaped prison in their burglary case as part of a deal with prosecutors, Yahoo Entertainment has confirmed. The 30-year-old actor has pleaded guilty to a single, lesser charge of unlawful trespass, as they were charged with stealing liquor bottles from a neighbor’s house in Vermont last year.
“Ezra Miller pleaded guilty to misdemeanor and unlawful trespass this morning in Vermont District Court and accepted the terms imposed by the court,” Meller’s attorney Lisa Shelkrot said in a statement to Yahoo Entertainment. “Ezra would like to thank the court and the community for their trust and patience during this process, and would like to acknowledge once again the love and support they have received from their family and friends, who remain a vital presence in their continued mental health.”
Miller, who is non-binary, previously pleaded not guilty to one count of burglary and one count of petty theft in Vermont Superior Court, claiming it was all a misunderstanding. The actor, best known for playing the Flash in the DC Extended Universe movies and as Credence in the Fantastic beasts series, changed their plea at Friday’s hearing. Court documents obtained by NBC News revealed that prosecutors had proposed that Miller receive an 89 to 90-day suspended sentence, plus one year of probation and a $500 fine. Miller spent more than 20 years behind bars for the charge of burglary.
In October, Miller’s lawyer released a statement on their behalf following the actor’s acquittal, which read in part: “Ezra would like to acknowledge the love and support they have received from their family and friends, who continue to be a vital presence in their continued mental health.”
The Justice League star has been in the news for the past year for erratic and disturbing behavior. Miller is accused of creating a cult-like environment around them and of behaving inappropriately towards minors. They have been arrested at least twice. As speculation swirled, Warner Bros. putting aside the long-awaited The flashrepresenting Miller’s biggest starring role to date, Miller released a statement saying they are being treated for “complex mental health issues” on an ongoing basis.
“Having recently gone through a time of intense crisis, I now understand that I suffer from complex mental health issues and have begun ongoing treatment,” Miller said in August. “I want to apologize to everyone for alarming and angering me about my past behavior. I am determined to do the necessary work to return to a healthy, safe and productive phase in my life.”
The flash is still scheduled to hit theaters in June.
[Editor’s note: This story was originally published on Wednesday, Jan. 11 and has been updated to reflect Miller’s official plea.]
MORE: Ezra Miller pleads not guilty to burglary