The last six gang members who helped beat and hack 15-year-old Lesandro “Junior” Guzman-Feliz outside a bodega in the Bronx in 2018 were sentenced to prison, officials announced Friday.
Five of the gang members — Danilo Payamps Pacheco, 26, Ronald Urena, 33, Jose Tavarez, 26, Danel Fernandez, 26, and Gabriel Ramirez Concepcion, 30 — were sentenced Friday by Bronx Supreme Court Justice Ralph Fabrizio to prison terms ranging between 12 and 18 years for manslaughter, according to the Bronx District Attorney Office.
A sixth man, Luis Cabrera Santos, 29, was sentenced to 12 years in prison on Thursday for the same charge, officials said. These were the last of 13 defendants charged in the case.
Bronx District Attorney Darcel D. Clark said in a statement that the verdicts “put an end to the criminal justice aspect, but don’t end the pain that Junior’s family and friends continue to suffer.”
“They will never recover from their huge loss, but we hope it brings some peace to the community knowing that these defendants will spend years in prison,” he added.
Guzman-Feliz was brutally beaten on the sidewalk outside a Bronx bodega in June 2018 and beaten in the neck with a machete in a horrific on-camera assault.
The teen had been chased by members of the Trinitarios gang and tried to hide at Zesarina Grocery on East 183rd Street near Bathgate Avenue in Belmont.
But the “Los Sures” gang members beat the innocent teenager – mistaking them for a gang rival – and dragged him out of the store before attacking him with knives and a machete.
He was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital, where he died.
“These six defendants, members of the group Los Sures Trinitarios, chased Lesandro ‘Junior’ Guzman-Feliz and dragged him out of Belmont bodega where he was stabbed by five other defendants,” Clark said.
“Their unscrupulous actions led to the death of the 15-year-old boy,” she added. “The shocking viral video of the attack left the Bronx community – and the world – horrified by such complete disregard for human life.”
The gang’s leader, Diego Suero, and his second-in-command, Frederic Then, were both sent away in 2022 for 25 years to life. Five others were convicted in 2019.
Clark noted the end of the Guzman-Feliz murder case with the successful prosecution of 13 defendants.
It puts an end to the criminal justice aspect, but doesn’t end the pain Junior’s family and friends are still suffering,” she said. “They will never recover from their huge loss, but we hope it brings some peace to the community knowing that these defendants will spend years in prison.”