Fernando Alonso was hit by a car while cycling near his home in Switzerland.© Instagram
Former Formula One champion Fernando Alonso left hospital after undergoing surgery for a broken jaw in a traffic accident while cycling last week, his team, Alpine announced on Monday. . Veteran driver Alonso was hit by a car near his home Thursday in Lugano, Switzerland, near the Italian border, according to the newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport and the TBEN.
“After a period of 48 hours of observation at the hospital in Switzerland, Fernando Alonso is now released to continue his recovery at home,” said the F1 team, renamed Renault.
“He will now have a short period of complete rest before gradually resuming training to begin preparations for the start of the season.
“As always, thank you for your best wishes on Fernando’s recovery,” they added.
Alonso, who won the F1 championship with Renault in 2005 and 2006, is expected to return to the elite level of motorsport at the Bahrain Grand Prix which opened the season on March 28. He last raced in the sport three years ago.
Testing for the new season takes place in Bahrain from March 12-14, and Alpine has said the 39-year-old is expected to participate.
Alonso is expected to be the second oldest member of the F1 paddock, behind Finnish driver Kimi Raikonnen, 41, from Alfa-Romeo.
Alonso carried out a number of tests in the final months of 2020 in preparation for his return to F1, making his full return from official testing during the end-of-season session in Abu Dhabi in December.
Topics mentioned in this article