Gary Barlow discussed his “hard time” with food and his health, frankly admitting that he “had lost control of himself.”
The Take That singer, 49, was talking to close friend James Corden on Zoom about his old eating habits after the Gavin And Stacey star asked him for advice.
In the interview for The Sun, Gary said the food he loved gave him ‘a few minutes of an eating coma’ and took him ‘out of the real world’, as he gorged himself of “ Chinese, chips, crisps ” during this period.
Struggles: Gary Barlow discussed his ‘hard time’ with food and his health, candidly admitting he ‘had lost control of himself’ (pictured left in 2005 and right in 2018)
He admitted that his diet was more serious than “just dropping a few stones” and that it was more of a “condition” that he couldn’t continue.
He said, “I remember one particular day thinking, ‘How did I get here? “I was so disappointed in myself …
“ So it started there for me and I turned my brain to sort out what I was eating. The problem is the food I love – Chinese, crisps, crisps. They would give me a few minutes of food coma, pulling me out of the real world. It’s just not good, that …
“ So I decided not to have cheat days and stay away from these foods. I would love to have a weird cigarette every now and then but I can’t. I can’t start smoking again.
Opening: The Take That star said the food he loved gave him ‘a few minutes of an eating coma’ and ‘took him out of the real world’ (pictured in February this year)
“ I just don’t have the personality where I can tease myself every now and then with something that I love because I end up taking that route back. ”
He said that generally 90 percent of what he eats is reasonable choices, with the remaining 10 percent being “fun choices.”
James then admitted that he recently realized he had to rearrange his mind into thinking that “ it will be forever now ” after giving up his diet and thinking that now he lost the weight he would do something else.
Can’t continue: Gary admitted his diet was more serious than ‘just losing a few stones’ and more of a ‘condition’ (pictured with James in 2014 on When Corden Met Barlow)
Gary advised keeping a food journal every day, saying “buy a nice little writing book”, adding “one that you will feel good to hold and keep with you at all times”.
He said it will make you see what you are doing wrong because if you eat a chocolate bar you will have to write it down.
James joked that his food diary read: ‘Breakfast: black coffee. Lunch: grilled chicken breast, broccoli. Dinner: piece of salmon, salad. Then he would say, “Midnight: Four KitKats.”
Harsh times: Gary secretly battled bulimia after his band Take That split and previously admitted he was ‘trying to kill the popstar’
“This is what it would look like. You’d say, “You’re doing really well, James, that’s fantastic. Why did you get nine Twix bars?” I’ll say, “Well, they were a funny size.” ‘
Gary secretly battled bulimia following the split from his band Take That and previously admitted he was “ trying to kill the popstar. ”
Speaking of his 17 stone weight in the desert years after Take That, the Rule The World hitmaker said: “ Nine years [I stopped singing].
“I just turned my back on him. I was trying to kill the popstar, that’s what I was doing.
“I was gnawing at what a popstar looked like. I was just killing him. I stopped dyeing my hair, I stopped buying beautiful clothes, I just wanted to look the opposite, physically and mentally.
The talented musician revealed: ‘2003 – that was the day I just said to myself, “No I don’t have that anymore, I’m going to change. I want to change and I’m determined that’s not who I am. ‘have become. “
“ It only took a few years to get to that low level, but it took me years to find who I wanted to be. 10 years probably.
“The comeback fight is a lot more difficult than the one that takes place.
He then confessed on the ITV daytime show: ‘In a way it had to happen.
“I had that ridiculous’ 90s period where the ego just got bigger and you just think, ‘There’s only one way to go back and it was down.’
Friends: James also admitted he recently realized he needs to retrain thinking ‘it will be forever now’ when he goes on a diet (pictured with Gary in 2015)