Prince Harry may want to “update” his upcoming memoir after interviews with his ghostwriter were conducted during a period of “peak rage, with Britain, with the royal family, with his sibling,” according to a journalist who is friends with Princess Diana .
The Duke of Sussex is publishing his life story at Penguin Random House and the book is expected to be published by the end of 2022. Royal watchers will be happy to see if the book rekindles royal feuds or serves as an olive branch after Harry and Meghan Markle’s bombshells interview with Oprah Winfrey in March 2021.
Richard Kay, a friend of Harry’s mother and a Daily mail columnist, told True Royalty TVs The royal beat: “There is still that possibility that the royal family’s pleas have not fallen on deaf ears, and that Harry is considering when to publish this book at all.
“The book was done, we believe in, around January – Harry’s part in it anyway – the interviews. That was really when Harry was still in the highest rage with Britain, with the royal family, with his sibling and family.”
Kay continued: “There has been a certain rapprochement since then. We saw it at the anniversary, there was a bit of an effort from Harry to wind it down a bit. Will he want to adjust what he’s written? All these things have to be through head off.”
Royal biographer Duncan Larcombe, author of Prince Harry: the inside storysaid: “I think Harry has just pointed his weapons a little. The Queen has calmed the situation down a bit.”
However, there may be reason to question the writers’ account of the recent easing of tensions.
Prince Harry recently dodged a question in April whether he had missed Prince Charles and Prince William during an interview with… Today‘s Hoda Kotb two months before the celebration of his grandmother’s platinum anniversary.
Harry and Meghan then had a scaled-down anniversary in June, attending just two events after being given police protection for outings to which they were not officially invited. That meant any attempt to contact their other UK charity partners would have been made without police protection, and Harry says he believes that would be unsafe.
His legal representative said in a January statement: “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex personally fund a private security team for their families, but that security cannot replicate the necessary police protection needed in the UK. And his family are unable to.” to return to his home.”
It all meant that the only other item on their schedule was a private party at their British home, Frogmore Cottage, for daughter Lilibet Mountbatten-Windsor’s first birthday. They were not seen in public with Prince William and Kate Middleton, as they were on the other side of a church service on June 3, and the Cambridges were also out of London for Lilibet’s birthday party.
Prince Harry’s lawyers said in July that they were preparing to file a second lawsuit on the subject over a ruling by the Home Office’s Royal and VIP Executive Committee (RAVEC) that he could not afford to pay his to continue the security detail of the Metropolitan Police.
At the same hearing, it emerged that Prince Harry has objected to the fact that he was not told about the involvement in the decision-making process of a specific courtier with whom he has clashed in the past.
Sir Edward Young, Queen Elizabeth II’s private secretary and her closest aide, the court heard, is not getting along with the Duke, and the “significant tensions” cited by Harry’s lawyer do not appear to have abated since the couple left the palace. left in 2020.
It may be that the Platinum Anniversary seemed to be a rapprochement because it went the way the palace wanted, with Harry and Meghan in the background and the Queen in the spotlight. However, there is little visible public evidence that Harry and Meghan feel the same way, while the evidence at the High Court in London seems anything but calm.
Harry’s lawyers said in a lawsuit seen by… News week: “[Prince Harry] should have been given a clear and complete explanation of the composition of RAVEC and those involved in the decision-making, ie the Royal House (‘TRH’) falls under it.
“He should have been given the opportunity to make direct statements to RAVEC as an agency to ensure that all his points were fully and correctly communicated to RAVEC; he should have been informed about the RAVEC policy/how it was applied and points made by others involved in the process, including TRH; and he should have been given the opportunity to respond to those points/make any other comments he wished, for example whether it was appropriate for TRH/certain persons to to be involved in making the decision.”
Check out Newsweek’s more royal news and commentary The Royal Report podcast: