Tits hot chocolate is flavored with caramelized sugar, and you should take the caramel as dark as you dare (without burning it) to get the maximum flavor.
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- 1 dessert apple
- Freshly squeezed juice of ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 100g caster sugar
- 500 ml milk
- 40g white chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons of Apfelkorn liqueur (optional)
- Squirty cream or whipped cream, to garnish
- Dulce de leche sauce, drizzle
- Preheat the oven to 140C / 120C fan / gas 1.
- Leaving the skin on, cut the apple into thin slices. Mix the slices in the lemon juice, then sprinkle with a little ground cinnamon. Spread the slices out flat on a baking sheet and bake for an hour to an hour and a half, until dried but still slightly soft.
- Put the sugar in a saucepan and heat gently over low heat until melted. Stir it to make sure the sugar doesn’t burn. Gently dip some of the cooked apple slices halfway into the caramel – dipping them only halfway. Let dry.
- Add the milk to the caramelized sugar remaining in the saucepan. Simmer over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add chocolate and stir until melted. Remove from the heat and add the Apfelkorn (do not put back on the heat). Pour the hot chocolate into two cups, garnish with a little whipped cream and sprinkle with dulce de leche. Place an apple slice on each mug.
Winter Drink Recipes (Ryland Peters & Small, £ 9.99)