Ingredients for Lemon Drizzle Cake
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 1 lemon, zested
- For the drizzle topping
- 1½ lemons, juiced
- 85g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 180 ° C / 160 ° C fan / gas 4.
- Beat together butter and powdered sugar until pale and creamy, then add eggs, one at a time, stirring slowly.
- Sift the self-rising flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well blended.
- Line a loaf pan (8 x 21 cm) with parchment paper, then pour the mixture into it and level the top with a spoon.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes until a thin skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling in its pan, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar to make a trickle.
- Prick the hot cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour it over the drizzle – the juice will flow and the sugar will form a nice crispy filling.
- Let cool completely in pan, then remove and serve. Store in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days or freeze up to 1 month.