India-China military talks end, next phase of disengagement discussed

0
8

India and China have had talks to resolve the border standoff since June.

New Delhi:

India and China have concluded the tenth round of military talks, which began after 10 a.m. yesterday morning and lasted around 4 p.m. The talks come as the two neighboring countries completed the disengagement process on both shores of Lake Pangong in eastern Ladakh on Friday.

In the new round of senior commander-level talks, disengagement at Depsang, Hot Springs and Gogra remained on the agenda. The talks took place in Moldo, on the Chinese side of the LAC (Line of Real Control) – the de facto border between India and China – near Chushul on the southern shore of Pangong.

ALSO READ  "Build bridges, not walls": Rahul Gandhi focuses on farmers' protests

“The objective of the talks is to advance the disengagement process. The two sides have met to discuss the modalities,” said a source quoted by the PTI news agency.

The two countries have been holding diplomatic and military talks for nine months after tensions began to mount along the high-altitude border in April. The situation worsened when 20 Indian soldiers were killed in the line of duty in a physical clash on June 15 in the Galwan Valley of Ladakh.

ALSO READ  Chennai: 24.5 kg of drugs worth Rs 2.45 crore to Australia seized, 1 arrested

The disengagement of Indian Army and Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) troops from the LAC has been achieved after sustained negotiations at the military and diplomatic level, the Foreign Ministry said last week. (MEA). “This agreement was reached after several rounds of sustained negotiations at military and diplomatic level,” MEA spokesman Anurag Srivastava told reporters, adding that the next steps after the disengagement were “clearly spelled out” by the minister. of Defense Rajnath Singh during his speech to parliament.

Newsbeep

Earlier this month, Defense Minister Rajnath Singh told parliament that the two sides had agreed to withdraw their troops “in a phased, coordinated and verified manner” around Pangong Tso, after which military commanders would discuss the end of stalemate in other parts of Ladakh. border.

ALSO READ  Big breakthrough in China's deadlock at Key Pangong Lake

Satellite images of parts of the northern shore of Pangong Tso provided by Maxar Technologies showed that several Chinese military camps seen in late January have been removed.

Videos and images released by the military earlier this week also showed Chinese troops dismantling bunkers and tents, as well as tanks, soldiers and vehicles moving as part of the disengagement process.

(With entries from ANI, PTI)

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here