Latest snake ban: Kent and Sussex announce ban after driest July ever

0
10

Smoke rises from fire near Heathrow airport as plane lands

A garden hose ban has been announced for Kent and Sussex after southern England recorded its driest July on record.

South East Water is the latest company to announce water restrictions, which will come into effect on Friday, August 12 and will remain in effect until further notice.

Millions of people in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight had already faced a garden hose ban as of August 5.

The bans come after England’s driest July since 1935 and the driest ever for southeastern and southern England.

South East England recorded just 8 percent of average rainfall in July, the Met Office said Monday, and the long-term forecast for August and September is similar.

People in Kent and Sussex are no longer allowed to use a garden hose to water a garden, clean a car, fill a swimming or paddling pool, among other things.

ALSO READ  Masterful Kevin De Bruyne makes Man City spin in Bournemouth defeat

If someone is found to have broken any of the rules, they could be fined up to £1,000, according to the South East Water website.

1659518608

‘We have no choice,’ says South East Water

Commenting on the decision to impose the ban on garden hoses, South East Water said: “This was a time of extreme weather in the UK.

“Official figures show this to be the driest July since 1935, and the period between November 2021 and July 2022 is the driest eight-month period since 1976. In July, we saw just eight percent of the average rainfall in the Southeast for the month. , and the long-term forecast for August and September is for similar weather.

ALSO READ  The hundred 2022 playlist: when are the matches and how does the tournament work

“Demand for water this summer has broken all previous records, including the Covid lockdown heat wave. We have produced an additional 120 million liters of water every day to supply our customers, which is equivalent to the daily supply of an additional four towns the size of Maidstone or Eastbourne.

“We have no choice but to restrict the use of garden hoses and sprinklers from 0001 on Friday 12th August in our Kent and Sussex supply area until further notice.

“We are taking this step to ensure we have enough water for both essential use and to protect the environment. This will also allow us to reduce the amount of water we need from already pressurized local water sources.”

ALSO READ  Frank Lampard: 'Understandable that people think Everton is in relegation battle'
1659518045

UK ‘on the brink of worst drought since 1976’ with strict ban on garden hoses

Britain may be on the brink of its worst drought since 1976, with stricter garden hose bans likely if the hot and dry weather continues.

The country does not yet have a widespread drought, but most of England, except the North West, has passed into a state of “prolonged dry weather”, the step before a drought is declared.

Low groundwater levels, dry soils and low reservoirs have also been observed after months of below-average rainfall, and last month’s record-breaking heat wave put additional pressure on water resources, Chiara Giordano writes.

1659517805

Hose ban to be imposed in Kent and Sussex after southern England’s driest July ever

A garden hose ban has been announced for Kent and Sussex after southern England recorded its driest July on record.

It comes at a time when climate scientists have warned that as greenhouse gases continue to warm the planet, the UK could get warmer and drier, and summers and wetter winters.

South East Water is the latest company to announce water restrictions, which will come into effect on Friday, August 12 and will remain in effect until further notice.

Millions of people in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight had already faced a garden hose ban as of August 5.

The bans come after England’s driest July since 1935 and the driest ever for southeastern and southern England.