Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer released – update

0
5

TO UPDATE: The Los Angeles Dodgers release controversial pitcher Trevor Bauer.

The former Cy Young winner was designated for assignment by the team today in a widely anticipated move. Bauer was reinstated from a two-year suspension by an arbitrator last month. He was charged with sexual assault by a woman to hasten Major League Baseball’s suspension. Bauer has vehemently claimed that the relationship was consensual.

“The Dodgers organization believes that allegations of sexual assault or domestic violence should be thoroughly investigated and that the accused should receive a fair trial,” the Dodgers said in a statement. “From the outset, we have fully cooperated with Major League Baseball’s investigation and have strictly adhered to the process outlined in the MLB Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault, and Child Abuse Policy. Two comprehensive reviews of all available evidence in this case — one by the Commissioner [Rob] Manfred and another by a neutral arbitrator – concluded that Mr. Bauer justified the longest active suspension of players ever in our sport for violations of this policy.

“Now that this process has been completed, we have decided after careful consideration that he will no longer be part of our organization.”

Bauer can now sign with any major league team for the $720,000 minimum and start playing right away. Whether a team will bite the bullet on the former Cy Young winner remains to be seen.

EARLIER: Trevor Bauer, the LA Dodgers pitcher who served a two-year suspension, was reinstated to Major League Baseball by an arbitrator today.

Bauer’s suspension, originally scheduled for 324 games, now stands at 194 games. Bauer is eligible to resume play immediately, but the Dodgers will have to consider whether to want him back. They have 24 days to decide if the former Cy Young award winner will be worth the bad publicity.

Bauer’s suspension was baseball’s longest suspension since a domestic violence policy was introduced. Bauer was charged with beating and choking a woman into unconsciousness during two sexual encounters. He has claimed that all actions were consensual and has filed defamation lawsuits against his accuser and her attorney.

ALSO READ  Google Parent Alphabet is cutting 12,000 employees worldwide

The 31-year-old pitcher’s defamation lawsuit against his accuser and her lawyer alleged that they filed a false police report alleging that he “sexually assaulted her during their second sexual encounter by strangling her unconscious twice, stabbing her in the slapping face and vagina repeatedly and scratching her face.

MLB will not challenge the arbitrator’s decision.

“While we believe that a longer suspension was warranted, MLB will abide by the neutral arbitrator’s decision, which upholds the longest-ever active baseball player suspension for sexual assault or domestic violence,” MLB said in a statement.

Bauer last pitched in 2021 after winning the Cy Young Award in 2020. He signed a three-year, $102 million contract with Los Angeles for the 2021 season.

EARLIER: Major League Baseball has suspended Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer – one of the highest-paid players in the league – for two seasons for violating its corporate domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse policies.

MLB commissioner Robert Manfred Jr. said Friday that, after an extensive investigation by the league’s Department of Investigations, “Bauer has been served a suspension for 324 championship season games (which amounts to two full seasons) without pay, effective today, for violating Major League Baseball’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Violence and Child Abuse Policy.”

The statement added: “In accordance with the terms of the policy, the Commissioner’s Office will not be making any further statements at this time.”

Read the details of the case below.

UPDATED, SEPTEMBER 10: Trevor Bauer, the second highest paid player in Major League Baseball for the 2021 season, is done for the year.

MLB extended its administrative leave from the team for the remainder of the regular season and postseason. That’s while the prosecutor ponders next steps on sexual assault allegations.

Bauer’s co-agents, Jon Fetterolf and Rachel Luba, confirmed the news in a statement Friday.

“Today Mr. Bauer agreed to extend his administrative leave through the playoffs in a good faith effort and in an effort to minimize distractions to the Dodgers organization and its teammates. He continues to cooperate with the MLB investigation and refutes the baseless allegations against him,” the statement said.

ALSO READ  Monterey Park: At Least 10 People Killed in California New Year's Celebration Shooting - Update

The Dodgers are currently three games behind the San Francisco Giants in the NL West division standings, but are way to the top of the wild card standings. The team counted on Bauer, who pitched well, but has since bolstered his rotation with a trade for former Washington Nationals standout Max Scherzer.

UPDATED: Major League Baseball has extended administrative leave for Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer through September 3 as the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office considers next steps.

The Pasadena Police Department has concluded its investigation into Bauer’s assault allegations. He is accused of sexual assault by a woman who claimed he suffocated, beat and sodomized her without consent during two encounters at his Pasadena home in April and May.

Bauer has not pitched for the Dodgers since June 28. He is still being paid, but has not been with the team again.

UPDATED: Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer has responded to a report that a woman in Ohio had filed a sexual assault allegation against him. The Washington Post report making the allegations came two days before a hearing on a California woman’s temporary restraining order against Bauer, who is currently on administrative leave from the team.

The California hearing is scheduled for Los Angeles County Superior Court and could take days.

Bauer called the Ohio legal issue “a game” in his first public remarks since the California incident.

“This is a continuation of the woman and her lawyers making good on their threats to harm me by continuing a false story,” Bauer said in a social media post. “This has been a game to her from the start, but my life is not a game and I will not stand idly by and allow this behavior to continue.”

ALSO READ  'The Stranger' Music Supervisor Jemma Burns Launches Pulse Points, Signs With WME

EARLIER: Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer, currently on extended administrative leave from Major League Baseball for allegedly assaulting a woman, reportedly had already received a protective order from another woman last year.

Saturday’s Washington Post story cited sealed court records obtained by the media. The Post alleged that an Ohio woman filed for the protection order in June 2020 while Bauer was pitching for the Cincinnati Reds.

The Post-story said photos it obtained showed bruises on the woman’s face and blood in her eyes. In that case, her attorney claimed the injuries were caused by Bauer’s unauthorized beating and strangling during sex.

The alleged victim also complained about Bauer in 2017, according to the Post story. He then pitched for the Cleveland team. In that incident, the woman claimed to police that she was in his apartment and suffered injuries to her eyes that she believed were caused by Bauer. Instead, police arrested her for underage drinking, The Post reported.

Copies of messages Bauer allegedly sent the woman and published by WaPo led her to seek a protection order. “I don’t feel like spending time in jail for killing someone,” reads one. “And that’s what would happen if I saw you again.”

Bauer was the National League Cy Young Award winner with the Reds in 2020 as the league’s top pitcher. He then signed a three-year deal worth at least $102 million with the Dodgers.

In a statement to The Post, Bauer’s attorney and agent, Jon Fetterolf, and agent Rachel Luba called Bauer’s allegations “categorically false.” They also questioned the validity of the photos and the threat messages.

Bauer’s current administrative leave stems from a California woman being granted protection in June against 30-year-old Bauer, who claimed he assaulted her during a sexual encounter in May.

Major League Baseball placed Bauer on administrative leave, which has been extended through August 20.

Erik Pedersen contributed to this report.