Several people were killed and others were injured by a man using a bow and arrows to carry out attacks in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg on Wednesday, local police said.
“The man was apprehended… according to the information we now have, this person carried out these actions alone,” Police Chief Oeyvind Aas told reporters at a press conference on Wednesday evening.
“Several people were injured and several died.”
Aas declined to comment on the death toll.
The attacks took place over “a large area” of Kongsberg, a municipality of about 28,000 inhabitants in south-eastern Norway, police said.
Following the attacks, the police leadership said they immediately ordered police officers across the country to carry firearms. Norwegian police are not normally armed, but officers have access to firearms and rifles when needed.
“This is an additional precaution. Police have so far no indication that there is a change in the national threat level,” management said in a statement.
Norwegian Justice and Public Safety Minister Monica Maeland received updates on the attacks and was monitoring the situation closely, the ministry said.
Kongsberg is approximately 68 kilometers west of the Norwegian capital, Oslo.