Man stabs spree in Chinese kindergarten in latest attack on primary school

0
7

Police officers in southeastern China’s Jiangxi province on Wednesday arrested a 48-year-old man on suspicion of committing a fatal stabbing at a private kindergarten in Jiangxi’s Anfu province that killed three people and injured six others. . Global times reported.

The newspaper quoted an original report from China’s official state news agency, Xinhua, which confirmed on Aug. 3 that authorities had arrested a suspect in the kindergarten stabbing. Police officers said the suspect, nicknamed Liu, is a local resident of Anfu district.

ALSO READ  New Mexico Muslim Community Arrested After Murder Arrest

A man, now believed to be Liu, “stormed” a private kindergarten in Anfu province at about 10 a.m. local time on Aug. 3, stabbing both teachers and preschoolers, Agence France-Presse (TBEN) reported.

Authorities have so far not released the names or ages of the victims of the stabbing.

“[I]It cannot be confirmed that at least one child was injured in the attack,” said the Global times reported on August 3.

“In addition, information about Sina Weibo . is circulating [China’s version of Twitter]which has not yet been confirmed by authorities shows that the attacker used a knife to stab several children in the kindergarten, almost all of them under the age of six, and some children are still in hospital for treatment,” he said. the state. run newspaper.

“A video of the scene shared by the state-owned Beijing Daily shows a police officer carrying a small child in his arms to an ambulance,” TBEN reports.

“Mass violent crime is rare in China, which strictly prohibits civilians from possessing firearms, but there has been a spate of mass stabbings in recent years,” the news agency noted Wednesday.

“Deadly attacks specifically targeting preschoolers and students have occurred across the country, carried out by people allegedly seeking revenge against society or over grievances with colleagues,” TBEN noted.

An approximately 50-year-old attacker wielding a knife stabbed teachers and students at an elementary school in Cangwu County in South China’s Guangxi region in June 2020.

The local government said in a statement at the time that “37 students suffered minor injuries and two adults more serious injuries. They were all sent to a hospital for treatment and none of their lives are in danger.”

Authorities later identified the perpetrator as the school’s security guard and sentenced him to death for intent to kill, though all of his stabbing victims survived the incident.

“A man with a knife killed two people and injured two others at an elementary school in Hunan province in April last year. [2019]TBEN recalled in June 2020 when he reported about the stabbing at a school in Cangwu County.

“In April 2018, a man killed nine high school students as they returned home in one of the deadliest knife attacks seen in China in recent years,” the news agency further recalled.