Federal and international police are now involved in the manhunt for the accused Sydney drug dealer who skipped bail after being accused of importing 900 kilos of cocaine.
Against the advice of the police, Mostafa Baluch, 33, of Sydney’s northern beaches, was released on bail Friday, despite a long stay in prison if found guilty.
NSW Police Minister David Elliott said the police involved in the case were “devastated” and he was furious that Baluch had been released on bail.
“Because quite frankly, this guy was our Pablo Escobar,” he told Sydney 2GB Radio on Wednesday.
“This guy was (allegedly) part of an international racketeering with drug levels we’ve never seen before.
“The police specifically told the court ‘he’s a bad guy’.”
Baluch was arrested in June and charged with being part of a conspiracy to import more than 900kg of cocaine and was held until he was released on bail after he deposited a $ 4 million property in bail.
It was a condition of his bail that he wears an electronic monitor, but on Monday night he managed to cut the ankle bracelet, which was found abandoned at the side of a road on the northern beaches.
He is believed to have left NSW on a private jet that night.
Mr Elliott said he spoke to Police Commissioner Mick Fuller about the difficulties in capturing the escapee.
“It will be hard work for the NSW Police Force – make no mistake about it,” he said.
The Australian Federal Police and its international law enforcement partners are also involved.
“We have the technology, we have the manpower, we have the international law enforcement credentials, but of course we also have to explain to some of these international law enforcement organizations. the law how it was lost, ”Mr. Elliott said. noted.
The police “are doing all they can to keep our community safe” and have been “left behind by the system,” he said.
“We are dealing with international drug lords who are associated with things like terrorism, kidnappings or prostitution,” Mr. Elliott said.