New Rochelle student revived with Narcan after possible fentanyl overdose

0
6

A Westchester County high school student had to be revived with Narcan after the teen used a vape that may have been laced with lethal fentanyl.

The New Rochelle High School student smoked a vape believed to be marijuana and passed out on Monday. Nurses moved quickly to administer Narcan — a treatment that can reverse the effects of a known or suspected overdose, officials said.

Superintendent Jonathan Raymond called the incident an “ominous milestone” for the precinct.

“The vape almost killed that student. I implore you to immediately talk to your kids about the dangers of vaping. It is urgent,” Raymond wrote.

ALSO READ  1.2 million migrants evaded authorities crossing US border: report
The scary incident happened Monday at New Rochelle High School.
RICHARD HARBUS

“This device is still in our community and may threaten the health or life of others who use it.”

It is believed the vape was laced with the deadly opioid fentanyl, according to TBEN 2.

Narcan can be given for an opioid overdose in an emergency situation.
Narcan can be given for an opioid overdose in an emergency situation.
TNS

“And that’s why we need to pass this message on to our families, caregivers and our guardians,” Raymond told the news station. “They need to know and tell their kids that any time you try anything off the street, whether it’s marijuana or a vaporizer, chances are it’s mixed with fentanyl. This is so bad, so serious.”

ALSO READ  Half of the British Museum staff will strike

He wrote in the community memorandum that the district has not confirmed the substance that nearly killed the student, but “we know that any vaping device or drug purchased off the street may contain the synthetic opioid fentanyl, even the smallest dose. can be deadly.”

New Rochelle high school principal Jonathan Raymond.
“They need to know and tell their kids that any time you try anything off the street, whether it’s marijuana or a vape, chances are it’s laced with fentanyl,” school principal Jonathan Raymond told TBEN 2.
TBEN

TBEN 2 reported that all school nurses in the New Rochelle school system — which is about 30 minutes from Manhattan — have a supply of Narcan.

ALSO READ  Father who died trying to save son in Lake Wakatipu, mentioned by relatives

Raymond encouraged parents to get their own Narcan prescription and ask their children to share information about “cartridges, vapes, or other prohibited items in or around our schools.”

“If at any time they are with a friend who has overdosed, they can call 911 without fear of repercussions,” Raymond wrote. “There is nothing more important than the health, safety and well-being of our students and we all need it to prevent a fatal overdose.”