Hello! Here is today’s summary of the Nigerian newspapers:
1. Supporters of besieged Yoruba activist Sunday Adeyemo aka Sunday Igboho took to the streets of Ibadan, the capital of Oyo state, yesterday to protest his arrest and detention by the Beninese authorities. We heard them singing the anthem of the Yourba nation and chanting “Igboho Oosa”, “Free Igboho now now”.
2. The secessionist group from the South-East, Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB revealed that Mazi Simon Ekpa could be relieved of his appointment as broadcaster of Biafra due to his failure to respect established operating rules. In a statement by IPOB’s media and publicity secretary Emma Powerful, the group said Ekpa refused to sign the rules of engagement and code of conduct guiding those who broadcast on Radio Biafra.
3. Many people were killed in a new communal crisis between the Ochoro and Bonta communities of the Konshisha local government area in Benue State, resulting in the destruction of several houses. Oju LGA President Clément Onaa confirmed the incident to reporters in Makurdi.
4. The All Progressives Congress (APC) has stated that in due course it will propose a consensual and acceptable candidate for president for 2023. Sen. John Akpanudoehede, national secretary, APC Caretaker and Extra-ordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC), said in a statement issued in Abuja.
5. Unknown gunmen, suspected of being kidnappers, kidnapped Ms. Betinah Benson, 80, mother of Bayelsa State Government Secretary (SSG), Rt. Hon. Konbowei Friday Benson. State police spokesman SP Asinim Butswat confirmed the incident in a statement in Yenagoa on Wednesday.
6. Tragedy struck Kwara State on Wednesday as fumes from a generator killed four people. The incident took place at the Ojomu family compound in Sanmora, in the Irepodun local government area in Kwara. Kwara State Command Police Public Relations Officer Ajayi Okasanmi confirmed the development.
7. The Federal Road Safety Corps in Ogun on Wednesday confirmed the death of nine people in an accident involving two vehicles on the Lagos-Ibadan highway. The FRSC sector commander in the state, Mr. Ahmed Umar, said another 16 people suffered injuries to varying degrees.
8. Two people were killed in the community of Udianga Enem, in the local government area of Etim Ekpo, in Akwa Ibom state. The village chief, Josiah Udoekoriko, is said to have fled his palace for safety. Police public relations officer Odiko Macdon has confirmed the incident.
9. The Nigerian Air Force said on Wednesday that only Flight Lieutenant Abayomi Dairo was on board his fighter plane which crashed during an operation against bandits in the forests of the states of Zamfara and Kaduna on Sunday. NAF Public Relations and Information Director Commodore Edward Gabkwet gave the explanation yesterday.
10. The Union of Academic Staff of Polytechnics (ASUP) on Wednesday accused the federal government of appointing five unqualified rectors out of the six polytechnics recently created by the federal government. ASUP National President Anderson Ezeibe made this known at the 100th ASUP National Executive Council (NEC) meeting held at the Federal Polytechnic in Auchi, Edo State.