Organizers reject ‘speculation’ over Australian Open delay

0
0

Tennis Australia (TA) on Saturday dismissed media reports claiming the start of the Australian Open is expected to be postponed from January to February or March next year due to Covid-19 protocols in the country.

The Herald Sun newspaper reported that the first Grand Slam of the year was at risk of being postponed even as organizers discussed quarantine arrangements with the Victoria state government.

ALSO READ  Second runner-up in a row for Prajnesh after final loss to Orlando

“This is pure speculation,” said a spokesperson for TA.

“Earlier in the week we … (said) how we continue to work closely with the Victorian government and will update with more information as soon as possible, and there is no update. day from that at the moment.

Victoria Premier Daniel Andrews said he was “very confident” to host the Grand Slam but the exact timing and arrangements “are not yet worked out,” according to the report.

ALSO READ  Novak Djokovic plans Roland-Garros 2020 semi-finals with Pablo Carreno Busta

The TA had planned for the players and their entourage to arrive in Victoria in mid-December to have time to undertake a mandatory two-week quarantine period before competing in Melbourne in January.

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here