JERUSALEM (TBEN) – A Palestinian teenager was killed early Wednesday in an Israeli attack on the city of Nablus in the occupied West Bank, the Palestinian health ministry said.
Palestinian officials identified him as Mahdi Hashash, 15, and said he died of shrapnel during an Israeli raid. There was no immediate comment from the Israeli military. The militant group Al Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade identified Hashash as one of its members.
The clash came during one of the deadliest years on both sides of the conflict, including after last week’s national elections. Former Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was victorious, with the support of a far-right ultra-nationalist party.
Palestinian attackers have killed at least 24 people in Israel since the beginning of 2022. The intensification of Israeli-Palestinian fighting in the West Bank and East Jerusalem has also killed about 130 Palestinians this year, which is the deadliest since 2006, according to Israeli human rights group B.” Tselem.
Israel captured the West Bank in the 1967 Middle East War and has maintained military occupation over the area ever since, and more than 500,000 people have settled there. The Palestinians are seeking the area, along with the Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, for a future independent state.