Prince Andrew in $12 million plot to overturn sex case settlement

0
8

Prince Andrew has collected a £10 million ($12 million) war chest for a reported attempt to undo his settlement with Jeffrey Epstein victim Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who alleged she was forced to have sex with Andrew when she was 17 to make.

British newspaper the Sun says Andrew is funding the renewed effort in part with his inheritance from his mother, the Queen, who died in September.

A royal source told the Sun: “Andrew was pressured to settle the case to avoid overshadowing the Platinum Anniversary and has paid a high price, personally and professionally.

“The king is happy that he is pursuing this. As head of state, he cannot publicly support him, but Andrew is still his brother and he wants the best for him.”

Andrew reportedly finally struck a deal last year to sell his Swiss chalet for £10 million, and the Sun says the Queen left him “several millions”.

He is backed up by a prison interview with Ghislaine Maxwell, in which she said she thought the photo of Andrew with his arm around Giuffre, with Maxwell grinning in the background, was a fake, a claim Andrew had long clung to.

Maxwell told documentary filmmaker Daphne Barak: “I don’t remember them meeting. And I don’t think that picture is real. It’s fake. I don’t believe for a second that it’s real, in fact I’m sure it isn’t. There has never been an original, there is no photo.”

ALSO READ  Video 'Toadzilla' shocks park rangers in Australia

Andrew, 62, is also said to be seeking permission from his brother the king to use his HRH title again as he tries to restore his image.

Andrew was in fact dismissed from the ranks of working royals by his mother in one of her last acts as queen, but he is said to feel he was “pressured” to abdicate and settle down with Giuffre by those who didn’t want that. case to overshadow last year’s platinum anniversary celebrations.

The terms of the settlement have been kept secret, but it is widely reported that he paid about $14 million to settle with Giuffre, but made no admission of guilt.

Andrew has always privately claimed the photo is fake and while he hasn’t been as explicit in public statements, he strongly suggested it to Emily Maitlis in a disastrous TBEN News night interview.

He said: “From the investigations that we have done, you cannot prove whether or not that photo is fake or not, because it is a photo of a photo of a photo… No one can prove whether or not that photo is has been counterfeited. , but I don’t remember that photo ever being taken.”

ALSO READ  LAPD tased Keenan Anderson 6 times in 42 seconds, scrutinizing Taser's policy

Sources close to Giuffre’s legal team admitted to The Daily Beast last year that Giuffre lost the photo, saying they didn’t even know if the original of the photo “still existed,” adding: “The photo is not owned by Virginia. .”

The photo was lost after apparently being stuffed into one of several storage boxes and shipped from Colorado to Sydney when Giuffre moved to Australia sometime between 2011 and 2016.

However, locating the original was not considered critical by Giuffre’s legal team, as the provenance of the copies made of it had been clearly established. The legal action was intended to allow reproduction of the widely circulated copy of the photo first published by the Mail on Sunday.

This “copy” was a photo of the original photo taken by a freelance New Zealand photojournalist in 2011.

The photographer Michael Thomas previously told The Daily Beast that he believed the photo was real, saying: “At the end of the day, I just copied a photo.”

ALSO READ  Exclusive: The photo that 'clarifies' Prince Andrew about bath sex

“Copying” a photo by taking a picture of it is a standard news-gathering technique for obtaining an image without the owner having to give up the original.

The legal source added to The Daily Beast at the time that they didn’t think failure to produce an original of the photo would affect the photo’s admissibility as evidence and said they didn’t think it would be “productive” for Andrew to authenticity of the image, adding: “That would destroy their credibility. Even Andrew didn’t say in that TBEN interview that it was fake.”

The source added: “The picture doesn’t show them having sex. But it shows that they were together. It shows that they have met. The more he argues about that photo, the more he underlines that the real credibility issue for him now is whether he ever met her. That’s a losing battle for him.”

Online sleuths have highlighted that Giuffre appears to be wearing the exact same set of clothes in the photo with Andrew as in a photo of her at a party to celebrate Naomi Campbell’s birthday.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here