Princess Mako’s boyfriend, Emperor Naruhito’s niece, expressed his willingness to marry her in a statement on Thursday, vowing to “correct the misinformation” regarding a monetary dispute involving his mother.
The planned marriage between the princess and Kei Komuro, both 29, has been postponed for more than two years following reports of problems between her mother and her former fiance over the money, including including Komuro’s education costs, which the man paid.
The princess’s boyfriend from her time in college, who has been studying at Fordham University Law School in New York since August 2018, said the 24-page document released through her lawyer is aimed at to “make corrections as much as possible” with regard to the reporting of the dispute.
“I believe some people may feel a sense of mistrust because of my silence,” he said in his second public comment on the matter.
In his first public statement released in January 2019, Komuro admitted that his family had received financial assistance from the ex-fiancé and pledged to “get an understanding from him” on the situation. But his explanation did not gain much public support.
The princess’ father Crown Prince Akishino, 55, the emperor’s younger brother, said last November that he approved of the couple’s marriage, but urged the Komuros to make a visible effort to resolve the dispute. .
In the latest document, Komuro said he believed a settlement through talks between his mother and ex-fiance would be “the best choice,” but efforts to bridge the gap on the issue through their negotiations between May 2019 and November 2020 “failed. “
Yasuhiko Nishimura, head of the Imperial Household Agency, told a regular press conference on Thursday that the statement was “very well explained” but that “the public will make their own assessment” when it comes to gain his understanding.
The Princess and Komuro met in 2012 as students at Tokyo International Christian University. They announced in September 2017 their intention to get engaged, their wedding being initially scheduled for November 2018.
But the Imperial Household Agency said in February 2018 that their marriage would be postponed to 2020 following reports of the dispute.
In November last year, Princess Mako expressed her willingness to move forward with the wedding, saying it was a “necessary choice” for them.
When asked about the couple’s late marriage, Emperor Naruhito told a press conference in February that he hoped for “a situation in which many people would be convinced and satisfied, as Crown Prince Akishino said” .
In a time of both disinformation and too much information, quality journalism is more crucial than ever.
By subscribing you can help us create the right story.