Sony has made an announcement about a new beta test for PS5 that will go live soon, and one of the additions is something many players have been asking for since the first day the console launched: 1440p support.
1440p support has been a coveted option for many players who chose to use certain monitors or TVs to play their PS5, and now that Sony itself has made its way into the monitor business, it seems time to finally unleash this feature. Here are the details:
1440p HDMI video output
- The PS5 beta introduces support for 1440p HDMI video output, allowing players to choose an additional visual setting on compatible PC monitors and TVs.
- If the game you are playing supports 1440p rendering, you can experience native 1440p output on your screen.
- Or, if you’re playing a game with a higher native resolution like 4K, you can take advantage of improved anti-aliasing by supersampling up to 1440p output.
- You can check whether your HDMI device is compatible by selecting “Test 1440p Output” under “Display and Video” options in the system settings.
While this is a lower resolution than 4K, many players wanted this option as a middle ground as some games will look better depending on your output device. Some in the comments wonder why this was prioritized instead of 8K, which PS5 claims can support, but 1440p is likely something that will benefit more players directly.
The 1440p option isn’t the only change in this upcoming update. It also includes:
- Game Lists – Where players can organize their games into 15 lists of 100 games each, with a maximum of .
- Compare 3D and Stereo Audio – An easier way to compare these two options right on the screen.
- Ongoing Activities – When you resume a game, it’s easier to see where you left off.
- Request Share Screen – So you can ask your group members to watch their gameplay.
- Join a game – If you join a party and are a member in a game that you can also join, a notification will appear for that option.
- Viewing Profiles of New Friends – After you accept a request, you can immediately view a friend’s profile.
- Game Pass Chat – You can now send stickers and voice messages to your groups.
So all in all, this is a pretty significant update, even if the addition of 1440p will be the headline. This is about to be beta tested today and should be widely rolled out not too long after, I imagine.
follow me on Twitter, YouTube, Facebook and Instagram. Subscribe to my free weekly content newsletter digest, God rolls.
Get my sci-fi novels on the Herokiller Series and The Earthborn Trilogy.