Punggol Field Murder: What Exactly Happened That Night?


Follow us on Telegram for the latest updates: https://t.me/TBEN

On September 15, 2022, Surajsrikan Diwakar Mani Tripathi, 22, was sentenced to life imprisonment and 15 lashes with the cane after pleading guilty to murder.

He admitted to stabbing and slashing Tay Rui Hao, 38, near a bus stop on Punggol Field Road at 11:08 PM on May 10, 2020.

Surajsrikan and Tay were strangers to each other.

Surajsrikan was then 20 when he committed the act.

The charge of murder with intent to cause death is punishable by death or life imprisonment and caning.

Details of the events of that fateful night have been reported by CN and The Straits Times.

What happened

Took knife and wet cloth

Surajsrikan took a Singapore Armed Forces issued Swiss Victorinox Trailmaster knife and a wet cloth for a run that night.

He fell mid-flight at bus stop 65559 in Punggol Field Road.

ALSO READ  8 things to know about the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max before buying one

That made him angry.

Then he spent the next five to ten minutes cooling off.

Victim was just jogging

Tay jogged past Surajsrikan at 11:08 PM.

Surajsrikan, still angry, pursued Tay.

In doing so, he unfolded the knife.

When he caught up with Tay, Surajsrikan stabbed him in the back.

Tay rolled forward and tried to sit up.

When Tay faced his attacker, he was repeatedly slashed in the arm, chest and abdominal area.

Surajsrikan then left Tay alone.

Victim aware after attack

Tay, who was conscious after the attack, called 995 and said, “I’ve been stabbed many times.”

An ambulance took him to Sengkang General Hospital.

He died of his injuries.


An autopsy found that Tay died after a main artery on his right forearm was severed as a result of a laceration. ST reported.

His lung had also collapsed from a stab wound to the chest.

ALSO READ  Tampines HDB Condo Sold for S$1,013 Million, Estate's First Resale Flat

CN reported that Tay had 10 external injuries, including cuts, abrasions and a deep gaping wound in a muscle.

Wandered estate for 1.5 hours

After the attack, Surajsrikan kept the knife in his pocket and used the damp cloth to clean his hands and knife. CN reported.

He didn’t go home right away, as he wandered the neighborhood for the next hour and a half.

He didn’t call for an ambulance or the police.

He came home about 12:30 pm.

He threw away the dirty wet cloth before coming home.

caught 6 days later

Surajsrikan was traced through police surveillance camera footage.

He was seen wandering the neighborhood with the knife in his hand.

He was arrested at his home on May 16, about six days after the attack. ST reported.

The knife was found in his bedroom closet.

He had washed it with hand soap.

ALSO READ  Apple iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max review: Is this the beginning of a new iPhone era?

Tay’s blood was found on the knife and on the shoes Surajsrikan owned, ST reported.

Surajsrikan’s TBEN and blood were found on the knife and swabs from his shoes. CN reported.

Surajsrikan is so far in seclusion in a single cell, CN reported.

Psychiatric Assessment

Surajsrikan underwent a psychiatric examination, both CN and ST reported.

He had severe social anxiety disorder and obsessive compulsive disorder, which led to bad mood and anger.

However, his actions were not directly caused by his disorders, and he was not unhealthy at the time of the crime, CN reported.

The court heard that May 10 was an important date for Surajsrikan, ST reported.

He reported for military service on May 10, 2018.

Previously, his father left his mother on May 10, 1999, while she was pregnant with him, two months after their arranged marriage.

Top photos distributed on WhatsApp