A Delhi court on Saturday ordered police to disclose the passports of 35 foreigners, who were acquitted in December last year in a case in which they were charged with attending the Tablighi Jamaat congregation here, allegedly negligent and disobedient to government directives issued in the wake. of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Arun Kumar Garg said all foreigners have already been acquitted by the court and police have not filed any appeals / reviews until the date of the acquittal order.
The court’s instructions came after the investigator said he had no objection to disclosing the passports to foreigners.
Lawyer Ashima Mandla, appearing for foreigners, argued that vigilance circulars (LOC) issued against foreigners were closed in February.
The court stated in its similar order issued on the aliens’ claims, “… considering the facts that the defendants have already been acquitted by the court by judgment of December 15, 2020, non-filing of any appeal / review by the declare against the judgment dated December 12, 2020 of this tribunal to date and the LOC (s) as claimant (s) have already been closed by the DCP in accordance with the instructions of the Supreme Court of India, l application of the present applicant (s) is (are) prepared with the instructions to deliver the original passport (s) of the applicant (s) to the (s) applicant (s) or his (their) representative against appropriate recognition in accordance with the rules, after verification of his / her identity. “
The requests, transmitted by Mandla and Mandakini Singh, called for the release of passports that were in police custody. The pleadings noted that the Supreme Court had, on January 13, ordered the government to facilitate the return of acquitted foreigners to their respective countries.
While acquitting foreigners from 14 countries of all charges in December last year, the court said the prosecution failed to prove the accused’s presence at the Markaz premises from March 12 to April 1. .
The court had further stated in its order that, according to the list of evacuees, none of the defendants showed symptoms of Covid-19 and that there was therefore no question of an act of negligence on their part, which, to their knowledge or believed, was likely to spread. infection.
“The court does not understand how the investigating officer could have identified 952 foreign nationals out of 2343 people who, according to the station official, were found to be flouting the guidelines, without any parade of identification of the tests , but on the basis of the list provided by the Ministry of the Interior of the Indian government, “he said.