Roland-Garros postponed for a week due to Covid-19 issues

0
3

Published on:

This year’s French Open has been postponed for a week due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will start on May 30, the French Tennis Federation (FFT) announced on Thursday.

The clay court Grand Slam, which was postponed for four months last year and was played in front of a limited audience, will end on June 13, two weeks before the scheduled start of Wimbledon.

The postponement is expected to impact the ATP and WTA calendars, particularly the grass season with tournaments scheduled for June 7 at s’Hertogenbosch (WTA and ATP) in Stuttgart (ATP) and Nottingham (WTA).

ALSO READ  Local heroine: Fran Kirby must be player of the year - surrounded by foreign superstars, she is the star of the WSL

The president of the FFT, Gilles Moreton, said he made the decision after consulting the public authorities, the governing bodies of international tennis and its partners and broadcasters.

He hoped the delay would allow them to welcome more fans onto the pitch than last year, when only 1,000 were allowed at Roland Garros each day.

“This will give the health situation more time to improve and should optimize our chances of welcoming spectators at Roland Garros …” he added.

ALSO READ  India v England fifth international in T20: live updates from series decision maker in Ahmedabad

“For the supporters, the players and the atmosphere, the presence of spectators is vital for our tournament, the most important international sporting event of the spring.”

The FFT had been heavily criticized for postponing last year’s tournament to the end of September without consulting the elite men’s and women’s tours, which this time were kept informed.

“ATP and WTA are working in consultation with all parties affected by the postponement to optimize the schedule of players, tournaments and fans, before and after Roland Garros,” WTA and ATP said in a statement. spouse. .

ALSO READ  West Ham vs Leicester, Premier League live score and latest updates

France entered a third national lockdown last Saturday to contain the spread of the new coronavirus, with President Emmanuel Macron saying he hoped to “reopen” the country around mid-May.

(REUTERS)

.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here