Royal back flip over ‘ridiculous’ Prince Harry ban

0
2

Live

Prince Harry has won a major victory in his battle with Buckingham Palace over his role in the Queen’s funeral commemorations.

The Duke of Sussex’s victory marks another historic step for the Queen’s grandchildren.

Harry has reportedly been given special permission to wear his military uniform when he joins his cousins ​​and the other senior royals at a vigil for the late monarch at Westminster Hall this weekend.

He was banned from wearing his uniform because he and his wife Meghan Markle no longer work for the royal family. The ban also extended to Harry’s uncle, Prince Andrew, although the Duke of York was given special permission to wear a uniform for the historic ‘vigil of the princes’ when the Queen’s casket was laid in state in Edinburgh earlier this week. .

Harry and Andrew, the only senior royals to have actually been on active military service, were striking in their morning suits as they joined the King and his siblings in a procession behind the Queen’s coffin to Westminster Hall on Wednesday.

ALSO READ  Optus accelerates push to warn victims of hacking

But according to reports in the British Mirror newspaper on Friday, there is a change of heart at Buckingham Palace.

“Common sense has prevailed,” a royal source told the newspaper.

“It was a ridiculous situation as the Duke of Sussex has served his country and is a highly respected member of the armed forces with all he has done for veterans.

“It is important that the Queen’s grandchildren feel welcome and at ease as they mourn their beloved grandmother together.”

Princess Anne accompanied her brothers – the King, Andrew and Prince Edward – at a historic moment for the Princes’ wake in Edinburgh. It was the first time that a princess took part in the vigil around a monarch’s coffin.

ALSO READ  Taking charge, trusting to eye contact: ten things men find attractive about women

The scene is expected to be repeated in London on Saturday.

But there’s more to come on Saturday, too, when eight of the Queen’s grandchildren – including Harry and his brother, heir Prince William – hold their own vigils.

The Queen’s other grandchildren, including Andrew’s daughters Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, and Anne’s children Zara Tindall and Peter Philips are also planning to join a guard of honor on Saturday night. Her youngest grandchildren, Prince Edward’s 14-year-old son James, Viscount Severn, and 18-year-old daughter Lady Louise will also be involved.

Prince Harry spent ten years in the British Army, including two tours of Afghanistan. He lost his military honors, along with his HRH styling, when he and the Duchess of Sussex retired as working royals for a move to North America in March 2020.

Harry confirmed earlier this week that he will “wear a morning suit at events honoring his grandmother”.

ALSO READ  This family is putting Filipino food on the map in London

“His decade of military service is not defined by the uniform he wears, and we respectfully request that attention continue to be paid to the life and legacy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II,” a spokesperson said.

Andrew, the Duke of York, served in the Royal Navy during the Falklands War. He has also been stripped of his royal roles and his title as HRH, following his multimillion-pound settlement in a civil lawsuit over sexual abuse.

Mourners from all walks of life have lined up to walk past the Queen’s casket as she lay in state in London’s Westminster Hall.

People queue for hours, with queues stretching for seven kilometers along the south bank of the River Thames. Up to a million people are expected to view the coffin ahead of the monarch’s state funeral on Monday.