Image-centric social network Snapchat said on Wednesday that it had banned U.S. President Donald Trump from the platform for good, as voices were raised against his removal from the internet scene.
Trump’s access to social media has been largely cut off since a violent mob of his supporters stormed the Capitol in Washington DC in a deadly attack on Jan.6.
Operators fear Trump may use his Snapchat account to stir up further unrest as President-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration draws near.
“Last week we announced an indefinite suspension of President Trump’s Snapchat account,” Snapchat said in response to an TBEN investigation.
“In the interest of public safety, and on the basis of its attempts to spread disinformation, hate speech and incitement to violence, which are clear violations of our guidelines, we have made the decision to put definitively end on his own. “
After Trump supporters attacked the Capitol, social media including Facebook, Twitter and YouTube began to block him from using their platforms.
Google and Apple have removed Talking apps from their stores for digital content stores, saying the right-wing social network allows users to promote violence.
Amazon Web Services subsequently ousted Talk from its data centers, essentially forcing the social network offline due to the lack of hosting services.
“I’m not celebrating or proud of having to ban the real DonaldTrump from Twitter, or how we got here,” Twitter chief Jack Dorsey wrote in a tweet Wednesday.
I’m not celebrating or proud of having to ban @realDonaldTrump from Twitter, or how we got here. After a clear warning we took this action, we made a decision with the best information we had on the basis of the physical security threats both on and off Twitter. Was this correct?
– jack (@jack) January 14, 2021
“After a clear warning we took this step, we made a decision with the best information we had on the basis of the physical security threats both on and off Twitter.”
The actions that angered ardent supporters of Trump, who was impeached Wednesday by the House of Representatives, were for inciting “insurgency.”
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton said on Wednesday he was demanding that Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google and Twitter explain why Trump is not welcome on their platforms.
Paxton argued that Trump’s “apparently coordinated dismantling” “silences those whose rhetoric and political convictions do not match the leaders of big tech companies.”
The state attorney has issued administrative subpoenas calling on tech companies to share their policies and practices regarding content moderation as well as information directly related to the Talking social network.
(Except for the title, this story was not edited by The Bharat Express News staff and is posted Platforms.)