South Korea expresses ‘grave concern’ over any radioactive water discharge

0
4

South Korea expressed concern on Thursday over the possibility of Japan dumping more than one million tonnes of contaminated water into the sea from the tsunami-damaged Fukushima nuclear power plant.

South Korea’s “grave concern” over the contaminated water was expressed when senior officials from worried neighbors met for talks in Seoul for the first time since new Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga took over. his duties last month.

ALSO READ  Fishing operators worried about plan to release water from Fukushima plant

“Director General Kim underlined our deep awareness and grave concern regarding the issue of contaminated water from the Fukushima reactor,” South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said in a statement, referring to Kim Jung-han, Managing Director of Asia and Pacific Affairs, who led the South Korean team.

The media reported that Japanese authorities decided to dump around one million tonnes of radioactive water into the sea nearly a decade after an earthquake triggered a tsunami that hit the Fukushima nuclear power plant, causing extensive damage.

ALSO READ  8,000 people still living as evacuees on the anniversary of Typhoon Hagibis

The Japanese government said no decision had been taken on how to dispose of the water from the damaged plant.

Among other issues, the two sides discussed an annual trilateral summit with China and a diplomatic and trade dispute over the issue of South Koreans being forced to work in Japanese companies during the colonial period of 1910-1945, this which seriously strained the ties between the two American allies. last year.

ALSO READ  Pandemic pushes workers away from Fukuoka's Nakasu adult nightlife district

Kim said Japan must show a “more sincere attitude” to resolve the conflict, urging it to lift trade restrictions on South Korea, the South Korean ministry said.

PHOTO GALLERY (CLICK TO ENLARGE)

.