Police have named the man who died in the water off Big Manly Beach on Auckland’s Whangaparaoa Peninsula on Friday.
It was 65-year-old local resident Paul Ramsey.
The death has been referred to the coroner and an autopsy is scheduled for this week.
Police said in a statement their thoughts and condolences are with Ramsey’s family.
He was one of six water-related deaths in the Auckland region in just three days.
Also on Friday, one person died after getting into trouble at Narrow Neck Beach on the North Shore. They were brought to shore, but could not be brought back to life.
On Saturday at an address in Takapuna, one person died in a water-related incident and two others died after they got into trouble in the water near Piha.
A sixth death occurred yesterday afternoon in Anchor Bay on the Tāwharanui Peninsula.
Earlier this month, preliminary figures showed that 93 people had drowned in New Zealand waters by 2022.
So said Daniel Gerrard, CEO of Water Safety NZ Report tomorrow the preliminary figure was a “national disaster”.
He said if the final number exceeded 100 after coroner findings, it would be “truly the worst year of the century”.