The police have arrested 65 people.
- Sixty-five suspects have been arrested after the rape of eight women who were also robbed along with others on the set of a music video in Krugersdorp.
- The shoot took place on Thursday at a mine dump in the West Village, Krugersdorp.
- Police spokesman Brigadier General Brenda Muridili says the suspects have been arrested for violating the Aliens Act.
Sixty-five suspects have been arrested after eight women were raped and robbed, along with other members of the production crew, on the set of a music video in Krugersdorp, police spokesman Brigadier Brenda Muridili said Friday.
Muridili added that the suspects were arrested for violation of immigration law.
Two men were shot dead after allegedly pointing firearms at police, while one man is being treated for gunshot wounds.
“Two unlicensed firearms, explosives and other objects belonging to the victims have since been recovered,” she added.
Police are investigating 32 rape cases and one armed robbery.
Earlier, Muridili said a production crew was shooting a music video in the West Village on Thursday when the men attacked them. She added that they first raped eight women before robbing them of their belongings.
According to an internal police report seen by TBEN, the group was filming in an old, unused mine when a group of 10 suspects – wearing blankets, balaclavas and mining overalls – approached them.
READ | Game ranger Anton Mzimba had received death threats for his murder
They fired shots into the air, searched the crew and ordered them to lie down before signaling the other suspects who had raped the women, who were all models, in nearby bushes.
According to the report, the men then robbed everyone on set of their clothes, cell phones, rings, passports, watches, handbags, cash, cameras and other valuables.
Police Minister Bheki Cele previously announced that three men had been arrested while police searched the area to find the other suspects.
The area where the incident took place is known for being frequented by illegal miners.
Earlier, President Cyril Ramaphosa referred to the incident during his speech at the ANC policy conference.
“We just learned this morning about the horrific incident in which a number of women were assaulted in our country.
“We have instructed the Minister of Police and Law Enforcement to act immediately to ensure that the perpetrators of this crime are apprehended and dealt with. Comrade Bheki Cele has already been there and we are following up on this terrible incident,” he said.