His selection grows in importance as the dissent-torn Congress faces Assembly elections in less than five months and Dalit voters make up 32% of the state’s electorate
File image of Charanjit Singh Channi and Navjot Singh Sidhu. News18
Charanjit Singh Channi, outgoing cabinet minister Amarinder Singh, has been chosen as the next chief minister of Punjab.
Channi, 58, will be the first Dalit to hold this post in the state. His selection grows in importance as the divisive Congress faces assembly elections in less than five months and the fact that Dalit voters make up 32 percent of the state’s electorate.
Here is a brief overview of the political and personal life of the Minister of Technical Education who will succeed Congress veteran Amarinder Singh:
- Channi is a three-time Member of Parliament representing the Chamkaur Sahib Assembly constituency of Punjab.
- Channi is a member of the Ramdasia Sikh community.
- He was appointed to Amarinder Singh on March 16, 2017.
- He was leader of the opposition in Vidhan Sabha from 2015 to 2016.
- He served as a city councilor for three terms and became chairman of Kharar city council for two terms.
- He was first elected to Punjab Vidhan Sabha in 2007.
- He graduated in law and holds an MBA.
- There is no criminal prosecution against Channi.
- However, he was accused of sexual harassment by a female IAS officer for allegedly sending inappropriate text in 2018. But the officer did not file a complaint.
- This case resumed in May when the Punjab Women’s Commission sent a notice to the state government asking for its response to the allegation.
- He graduated from Khalsa Upper Secondary School in Kharar.
- He was born on April 2, 1972 in the village of Makrona Kalan near Chamkaur Sahib of S Harsa Singh and Ajmer Kaur.
According to the Punjab government website: “His father had to struggle to bring his family to the level of economic security for which he had to migrate to Malaysia. He worked hard and ultimately success married him and his family. He returned and settled in the city of Kharar, starting a tent house business where Channi also performed as a tent boy. His father was a very generous man even in his business dealings. “
With PTI entries