LONDON: A series of Yemeni prisoner swap talks ended on Sunday with no deal being reached between the warring parties, UN envoy Martin Griffiths said.
“While the parties did not accept the communiques during this round of talks, they are committed to continuing to discuss the parameters of a future extended broadcast operation,” Griffiths said.
During the talks, which were held in the Jordanian capital, Amman, they discussed strategies and options for meeting their commitments under the Stockholm Agreement.
The internationally recognized government of Yemen and the Iranian-backed Houthi militia accepted the UN-brokered deal in December 2018, which provided for the release of thousands of prisoners and detainees, in addition to a ceasefire. fire in the strategic port city of Hodeidah and in humanitarian corridors.
The Prisoner and Detainee Exchange Agreement Implementation Monitoring Committee resumed its fifth meeting in Jordan last month with the aim of freeing 300 prisoners from both sides.
“I am disappointed that this round of talks does not match what we saw in Switzerland last September, which resulted in the historic release of 1,056 detainees,” Griffiths said.
He also urged the parties to “continue their discussions and consultations, conclude the implementation of what they have agreed and expand the provisions to release more detainees soon.”
In January, Griffiths called on the parties to immediately release all vulnerable detainees and civilians arbitrarily detained.
“I reiterate my call for the unconditional release of all sick, injured, elderly and child detainees as well as civilian detainees, including women and journalists,” he said on Sunday.
Yemen was embroiled in civil war when the Iranian-backed Houthi militia seized control of Sana’a from the internationally recognized government in late 2014.