OAKLAND, Calif .– YouTube said on Tuesday it had suspended President Trump’s channel over concerns about the “potential for continued violence,” the latest move by one of the big tech companies to limit the president online.
In one Tweeter on the official YouTube account, the Google-owned video site said it suspended Mr. Trump’s account after one of his recent videos violated its policy of banning content that spreads misinformation alleging voter fraud generalized. YouTube said it would not be able to upload new content to its channel, which had around 2.8 million subscribers, for at least seven days. YouTube has also said it turns off comments on its video indefinitely.
It was not immediately what video had triggered the suspension of his account.
Many tech companies have moved to restrict Mr. Trump online since a violent mob of his supporters, under pressure from the president, stormed the Capitol last week. In the process, Facebook suspended the president of its main social network as well as Instagram at least until the end of his mandate. Twitter followed with a permanent ban on Mr. Trump’s account on his service, robbing him of his favorite social media platform, where he had 88 million subscribers. Other sites, such as Snapchat, Reddit, and Twitch, have also cut down on Mr. Trump.
The measures won praise from liberals and others, who said the actions were long overdue because Mr. Trump had used social media to spread lies and incite violence. But critics said the blanket crackdown raises questions about the power of tech companies over online discourse.
The big tech companies also got support from other sites that hosted right-wing content. On Monday, Speak, a social networking site that has become popular with Trump supporters for its cowardly approach to free speech, turned grim after Amazon pulled IT services. Apple and Google had previously removed Parler from their app stores. Parler said he was looking for a way to get back online.
This is a developing story and will be updated.